Town Site of Bennett City, 1898
Prospectors packed their supplies from Dyea to either Lindeman Lake or Lake Bennett, where they then built boats and floated the Yukon River system to the Klondike gold fields; thus Bennett marks the end of the Chilkoot Trail. At its peak, between of 1897 and 1899, Bennett City's population reached upward of 10,000. The "city" continued to flourish after construction of the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad, which started in Skagway and bypassed the rest of the Chilkoot Trail before entering Bennett and heading farther north. This colored map is an adaptation from the 1898 plat map of the town, done with prisma colors. St. Andrew's Church is now all that remains standing in the town site.